samedi 20 mars 2010

Sleep experiment

Since I needed to take shifts in Japan, I decided to do an experiment on myself.
I picked 7 days of consecutive night shifts with no free day before or after. So basically, even if I am in Japan, I am on European time. Now, if we always lived inside, and the sun didn't matter, this should work just fine. But with my current schedule of going to bed at 8am and waking up around 4pm, I basically see the sun for about an hour in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. Which is not so different from being a grad student in a windowless office, like I was for the past 6 years. The only remaining variable is that I cannot make my room completely dark, the curtains are not good enough for that. I decided to try to go running everyday when I wake up at 4pm, just to make sure I go outside when there is sunlight. I am curious to see how I'll feel in a week and if I'll be jet-lagged when going back to Europe.

Right now, one and a half day in the experiment, I feel ok, but I do have the impression it is the middle of the night. Somehow my body knows it.. let's see if it will change.

Aucun commentaire: